Tamil Nadu is one of the most progressive States in India. It is amongst the top three States in the country across major economic and social indicators.
Salient features of Tamil Nadu include:
- Stable political environment
- Proactive and investor-friendly Government
- Transparent decision-making approach
- One of the highest recipients of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the country
- Mature manufacturing sector
- Established Information Technology (IT) destination
- Availability of skilled manpower
- Low crime rate
The Government's 'Vision Tamil Nadu 2023', a strategic plan for infrastructure development in Tamil Nadu, endeavours to further enhance the State's economic and social performance. This Vision's implementation seeks to achieve the objectives of economic prosperity and employment generation accompanied by inclusive growth. The Vision 2023 will focus on developing an array of projects to strengthen the State's infrastructure.
The Tamil Nadu Infrastructure Development Act, 2012 has been enacted in order to provide an institutional framework that can:
- Create an enabling and facilitative environment
- Identify, prioritise and implement infrastructure projects
- Enable private sector participation where feasible
Tamil Nadu Infrastructure Development Board (TNIDB), set up under the Tamil Nadu Infrastructure Development Act (TNID Act) 2012, is envisaged as the nodal agency for infrastructure development in the State of Tamil Nadu. TNIDB is expected to play a critical role in infrastructure development in the State by facilitating project development in a seamless, efficient and transparent manner. The TNID Act along with the Rules and Regulations thereof provide the Board with the necessary administrative authority and lay down a clear framework of processes and procedures to ensure speedy project development.